Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner brought back the 7th annual End of Year Survey! I absolutely love these surveys and I think it’s a great way to reflect back on all the books read in the past year! Here is my survey from last year if you want to check it out! My first half of 2016 was pretty rocky. From January to April I was solely focused on my wedding. May and June seemed to be okay for me. Then July happened. I got into a huge rut in July and only read 3 books in that month. Then August 30th I found out I was pregnant and I was exhausted in September to the middle of October and was pretty nauseous throughout those months too. Then November happened. And I got my reading swing back! And then comes December and the holiday season and I got swamped with so many things so that was another slow month for me. 2017 will be a better reading year for me!
2016 Reading Stats
Number of Books You Read: 53 but am aiming to read 1 or 2 more before the end of the year! (So hopefully 54 or 55)
Number of Re-Reads: None.
Genre You Read The Most From: Young Adult & Contemporary
Best In Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Cheating on this one! And doing it by genre, kinda. ;P
YA Fantasy: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
YA Contemporary: Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum
YA Sci-Fi: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I’m going to get a lot of hate for this one… but I’d say Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas. I actually ended up really disliking this book because I felt like it was the same story as A Court of Mist and Fury by her that came out months earlier.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke. This one I just don’t know what to think about it. Or what to say about it. I wasn’t in love with it and I didn’t hate it. I was just “MEH” about it, which is surprising, since I loved her Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. So I was surprised that I didn’t fall in love with this one like I did with her debut.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I have to say that I am always recommending Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum all the time! 😀
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Best Sequel: Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Best Series Ender: None, haven’t finished a series this year! :/
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Carrie Firestone or Kay Honeyman. I loved what Carrie brought out in The Loose Ends List! I mean the idea of a “Death with Dignity” cruise is just ethically hysterical and I loved it! And then Kay did an amazing job at weaving together politics and a Jane Austen retelling in her novel Interference!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Mmmm, I pretty much read in all genres.. so I really wasn’t out of my comfort zone at all this year. I mean I didn’t read any nonfiction books. So, I can’t really answer this one this year!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Honestly, the one book I couldn’t put down and read in 1 sitting was Paper Princess by Erin Watt. It’s not very action packed or thrilling but it is super addicting! And I really loved books 1 and 2 and am hoping to read the final book before the end of the year (but we’ll see).
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
There are a few I wouldn’t mind rereading, but one that comes to mind is: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi. I loved the lyrical writing and definitely wouldn’t mind rereading it before the companion novel comes out! 😀 Plus, I forgot to review it, so I need a slight refresher course before writing a review! haha!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
I love the cover of Passenger by Alexandra Bracken!
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
McNerd AKA Dallas from The Replacement Crush by Lisa Brown Roberts. Not only is he super smart and technological, but he also has nice arms/muscles and HE PLAYS THE CELLO! Oh man, I love him so much! And cannot get him out of my mind! 😀
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi. I just loved the lyrical writing. It was simply beautiful!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
I honestly cannot think of one. But I have baby brain…
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I can’t believe that I didn’t read this series earlier. Even worse, I can’t believe I haven’t read Clockwork Princess yet.. GAH!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
If you wanted to, Safiya, you could bend and shape the world.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest Novel: His Country Bride by Debra Holt (189 pages)
Longest Novel: Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas (693 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Jessie and S/N (Not saying his actual name in case you haven’t read it yet!) (Tell Me Three Things)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
I love the friendship between Safiya and Iseult! (Truthwitch)
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. I loved her Hex Hall series and I loved this book and can’t wait to read the rest of the series!
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure
Nefertiti’s Heart by A.W. Exley was a recommended book in the 2016 Steampunk Reading Challenge (which I failed by the way) and boy am I glad we read it! 😀
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Um, Hello! DALLAS AKA MCNERD from The Replacement Crush! Hands down!! I can’t get enough of sexy nerds! <3
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider was a lot of fun to read! And it definitely put a smile on my face! 😀
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas definitely made me tear up at the end!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
In Real Life by Jessica Love. I hope this one gets more attention because it truly is a hidden gem. I personally loved it!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
For lack of a better option? Gemina kinda crushed my soul during a few parts. But I’m really worried about how the final book will go next year…
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid. I thought this was such a unique read!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas. I went on a full blown rant to quite a few people on how this book just made me so mad! It was basically the same damn story as A Court of Mist and Fury (which I loved) but to read it in her other series too, just really pissed me off! Ugh, I don’t even want to go back into this rant! haha.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
With being so busy, I actually haven’t really been discovering new ones. Or because of the baby brain, I just can’t remember if I have. So, what I’d like you to do is leave a comment telling me what your favorite book blog is and I’ll go make sure to check them out!! 😀
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Bookish Things My Husband Is Sick Of (Also inspired by Jamie!!)
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
I went to BEA 2016 and wrote a recap about it!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
The fact that I’ve been swamped all year. 1. because of my wedding and 2. because I’m pregnant. So my reading life has kind of been swallowed up. :/
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
From views: Early Birthday Giveaway [+ An Update]
But I can’t figure out how to find out what my post commented post was?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Novelly Yours! I love her candles!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Nope. But I plan to conquer them all (or most of them!) in 2017!!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Read more and complete my challenges!
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone
Surprisingly, I haven’t read one yet. I have a few, I just didn’t know which one to read first! :/