Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke & The Bookish. Each Tuesday, they have a new topic for a Top Ten List. Click here for more information and how to participate!
[[This week I have a challenge for you. Try to change my mind. Recommend a book to me that you think is fantastic and will have me changing my mind about these topics that turn me off. I’m up to the challenge.]]
Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book:
1. Chick-Lit: I hate this term. Do I read it, yes. But I do not like this term. I hate when a book says chick-lit.
2. Pirates: Boy, do I love watching Johnny Depp be a pirate in the POTC movies, however, when it comes to reading about pirates….mmm not so much.
3. Auto-biographies/Biographies: There are only a few that I will pick up. Like anything about Audrey Hepburn and Bossypants. I really want to read Bossypants!
4. Time Travel: I like the idea of time travel but I haven’t really read much that deals with time travel.
5. Non-fiction: Not for me. The only time you will see me pick up Non-fiction is when I am doing research. Yes, I have liked some of the things that I read that is non-fiction, but I don’t openly pick it up for the fun of it.
6. Young MC’s: If the main character is under 16 years old, I won’t read it. I guess I am just weird like that. But I read books where the characters are 16 to a whole bunch older. But under 16, I just feel that they are too whiney and immature.
7. Aliens: I love anything sci-fi, but I haven’t picked up anything about Aliens…I guess I could give it a try.. But I don’t know.
8. “The Next Twilight”: Oh my lord, absolutely not. If your book says that it is “the next twilight” I run for the hills! Please get a little more creative than that…
9. Zombies, Unicorns, or Fairies: Okay, I love zombie movies… But for some reason I haven’t really picked up anything about zombies. Unicorns, I just don’t understand. Fairies… I want to like, honestly, I do. I just haven’t gotten into it yet…
10. Christian, Bible, God, etc: I am a catholic but for some reason when it comes to books that I read for pleasure, I don’t want the main focus to be on religion. If the character has faith, that’s fine but I don’t want it to be ALL about it.